Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Allergies

We had an interesting trip to Winnipeg yesterday.  Selah had an appointment with an allergist (she's been getting hives for a few months).  The highway was actually totally clear except for the last 20 minutes on our way home.  That was quite nice, we were expecting it to be icy/snowy/whatever.  We had a "nice little" walk (that I thought was gonna put me into labor!) from where we parked to the clinic.  Selah's appointment was at 1, so of course she didn't get a nap before hand.  And then with the nurses having to scratch up her little arm, you can imagine how happy she was.  When they took the piece of paper towel off her arm to check, I was quite surprised by all the red bumps.  Thankfully some of them were just from the scratch, and weren't actual allergies.  The worst one was peanuts.  The doctor prescribed an epi-pen for that one cause we've never given her peanuts or peanut butter (except maybe something that says may contain traces of...) so we don't know what or how severe the reaction would be.  Then there was eggs.  That one wasn't nearly as bad.  The doctor said very small amounts of eggs would be fine, and eggs in baked goods should be ok.  She also said to avoid other nuts (just because of how bad the peanut allergy appeared to be) and seafood till after she's 3.  And that was it for the appointment.  After that we got some lunch, and went to the mall for a little bit.  Thankfully Selah slept for a little while on the way home.  And that's that.

Oh, and today is our anniversary:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

That's too bad about Selah's allergies. It's good you had the tests done. I can sure relate -- Rachelle has been allergic to peanuts, milk and eggs since she was a baby. The egg allergy surprised us because she ate eggs before she had allergy tests done at age 3 and seemed fine. We've been buying epi-pens all these years and never had to use one (which is good) but they are expensive. We used to keep two on hand, one at home and one at school. Now that she's older she just carries one around with her all the time. I just bought her a new one the other day ('cause they expire of course)-- it was $103!

Anyway, all the best as you deal with that ... it's not easy. I feel for you guys.

Aunt Brenda

Heather said...

That's good that you've never had to use the epi-pen. I hope we never have to either. I was pretty shocked at the price too... $90, but thankfully we only had to pay $20. The pharmacist recommended having 2, one at home and one for at the babysitters, or in the diaper bag, so I'm going to go get another one yet.

Anonymous said...

I hope you never have to use it either...we'll have to let others know about the peanut allergy...especially thinking of Jr Church, etc.

Happy Anniversary!!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!

Andrea said...

Happy Anniversary you two!!