If I was to shop at Co-op for the same groceries that were in that Superstore cart, and if I got the Co-op store brand products (which I find to be much better than PC brand), it may cost me a little bit more. Here's the catch. At Co-op, if I would shop on Wednesday, the first perk is that I get 5% off my groceries, whether or not I am a Co-op member. The cashier will bag my groceries and I don't have to pay for bags. Even if bring my own cloth bags, the cashier will still bag them for me. And lets say I decide to walk to the store with my daughter, I don't have to cross the highway. Also, lets say the groceries don't all fit in the stroller, guess what, Co-op delivers for free (over $25). And, because I am a member, which only costs you $10, I get equity. I have bought several large appliances from Co-op, and cameras, and I have received several hundred dollars off of these purchases using equity. Also, we get some of this equity back, in a check, which you can cash, and spend the money anywhere. (I usually use it for my groceries). So... tell me, is it really cheaper to shop at Superstore?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


19 comments:
Hi Heath,
You forgot the part where Co-op donated over $100,000 to local organizations in 2007 alone! And literally millions given back to local members in cash (equity cheques) over the years.
Oh, and you can shop in half the time at Co-op (a negative I guess if you're counting steps with a pedometer!)
And for the record, I am a very biased Co-op employee ;)
Thanks:)
I'd have to agree. Shopping at SuperStore drives me insane!! Even if it costs me more I would choose Co-op anyday!!
We're all agreed then? Co-op is the best! :)
And I guess I'm biased too. Former employee who is now an employee's wife.
If you want brown lettuce, expired dairy, and no selection... go ahead... keep shopping at Co-Op
Dear anonymous,
I have never bought brown lettuce, expired dairy, etc at Co-op. Have you ever browsed through the whole rack of rotten produce at Superstore? Also, why are you so scared to post your name?
Our community only survives on businesses like Co-op. People depend on those jobs, and the community depends on the money that is generously given. If everyone shops at Wal-Mart and Superstore, it will be a sad sad day.
Besides, my kids love to see their Grandpa at the store, get a balloon, a cookie, and have friendly greetings from all the staff who know them and care. I doubt there is anyone at Superstore who gives a whoot whether I shop there at all.
Some very defensive Co-op members here! :)
And no, I'm not the mysterious anonymous individual either. I too have always supported Co-op, but, I must admit that Superstore's produce department is far larger and much better than Co-ops. And the reason I say that outloud is because I would love to be able to do ALL my grocery shopping at Co-op. But when I can get more selection at better prices then I will choose to go elsewhere. When the monthly grocery bills aaverage $800/month, more than a mortgage payment, you gotta do what you gotta do! Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to slam Co-op here, I'm actually hoping that at some point Co-op might want to expand their produce department sometime soon, so that I can experience one-stop shopping. For the record, I don't enjoy doing my grocery shopping at Superstore. And if you haven't already noticed, I'm quite OPINIONATED!
I've seen the plans for the upcoming expansion... it looks pretty good!
I'm sure people in Co-Op wouldn't fall down crying if they found out you had shopped somewhere else. They know you at Co-Op because you shop there all the time. If someone shopped at Superstore all the time you would eventually come to know the people that worked there too; especially since this is a small town and the people that work there probably go to church with you...
I've never seen piles of rotten produce at Superstore but I've been disgusted by the produce section at Co-Op. One thing I will give Co-Op is that they do have better ground beef than Superstore and that's about all I tend to go to Co-Op for.
As for why *I* have stayed "annonymous" is because I feel a get a more honest response/reaction this way...
It's one thing to defend co-op because you believe they have better produce, quite another to imply that people working elsewhere are cold and uncaring, which is what you guys are doing, and that's very narrow minded. And if you go to coop b/c your family works there at least be honest and use that defense. For the record, I've bought bad produce, expired mayo, expired cream at coop. All places are good to shop b/c they ALL help the community in their own way- employment etc. Think about that next time- and I'm the second anonymous- and don't slander me for that, it's my perogative.
I am another anonymous. I have worked at superstore in the produce department, and never ever have i seen rotten produce there. Maybe some "bad" produce but not rotten. EVERY store has "bad" produce. The produce that gets put out at superstore is first checked and then put out. If it is "bad" it doesn't even get a chance to go out.
So there.
Then what is that big cart doing at Superstore full of wilting, soggy, rotting produce? I see it every time I'm there.
Also, I never called the Superstore staff cold or uncaring. I simply mentioned that because Co-op is a smaller center, I recognize the staff, and they know me. Superstore has so many employees, that I really don't know many, if ANY of them.
Besides, Heather has worked at both Co-Op and Superstore, and I feel she has the right to comment on both.
Of course, Co-op most certainly has had bad produce, but I don't have to buy it! There is usually plenty to chose from. I would love to have more selection, and things that Co-op normally does not carry, but with a future expansion, I'm sure they will deal with that.
As far as having something rotten, or bad, like Mayo or Dairy, Co-op will take it back, no problem. You can easily exchange it for fresh products, and they won't give you a hassle.
And I agree, Superstore beef is kinda yucky.
Oh ok.
Well, the carts there have been siting there for over 2 weeks, they are not in a refrigerator, etc. it doesn't take long for produce to go bad. there you go, if you don't have to buy the rotten bad food at co-op why would you have to buy at superstore? As far as bringing back something rotten or bad, you wouldn't have to bring it back if you wouldn't of bought it in the first place.
Maybe you don't know any of the employees at superstore because you don't shop there!!!!!!!
ok kids on both sides, this whole thing has become a little ridiculous. It's one thing to say you enjoy shopping somewhere because of whatever, and encourage your friends to shop there, but slamming the "competition" is just childish. Both sides here are just enforcing one of the reasons I don't eat vegetables!
Seriously though... it was just a post about some false advertising (and after knowing Heather for a few years I've come to realize that if she saw something in a cart, then she saw something in a cart!).
Life goes on! I must admit this was fun to watch in the beginning (I don't usually read blog comments) but really, it's time for people to go enjoy the nice weather.
I believe the uproar about this started because Heather didn't have all the information and someone "Anonymous"-ly wrote to explain to her that what Superstore had in those three carts at their store was comparing prices and that "anonymous" person was giving her all the information.... maybe if more people would have all the information before making their comments then those uninformed comments wouldn't be made in the first place...
So for the record.... Superstore was not advertising falsely... there were/are three carts at the front of the store
the first one shows the pricing for Co-Op brand-name products
The second one shows the pricing for Superstore BRAND-NAME products
and the third one shows Superstore P.C. Brand products....
They are simply showing that their prices for even their brand-name products are cheaper than Co-Op (although this obviously does not reflect sales that Co-Op would have) and then that their PC brand is even cheaper. They have all the rights in the world to do that... and it's not false unless someone's going to contest that they "fudged" the numbers to show that their pricing was better in some way... I'm sure someone out there is probably going to do that too, but I would say whoever would has too much time on their hands!
If people who are so appalled that Superstore wouldn't have another cart for Co-Op store brand products you should probably give your head a shake. I don't understand how people have enough time to think about things like this and get their panties in a bunch about it. Geez... you people are going to give yourselves ulcers or something!
Anyway, I'm going to take Warren's advice and go out and enjoy some of this nice weather!
Adios amigos!
~Anonymous, staying Anonymous~
Thanks guys, I really didn't mean to start a huge debate. Though I'll admit, that's the most comments I've had on one post before:) Of course we are all entitled to our own opinion about where to shop, and what we feel is the "better" place. But I think we've heard enough opinions on that subject for now:)
I'm wondering if one of the "anonymous" individuals is a Thiessen in disguise!
ok...i am the original anonymous individual and I was not trying to tell you that you should shop at superstore...I was just trying to say that you had skipped the second cart...I agree that co-op has much better customer service than any other store in winkler...when it comes to grocery shopping, I really didn't mean to start a huge argument or debate...I just wanted to let you know that the second cart was brand name as well...I guess next time I won't say anything.
...while I was out enjoying the beautiful weather this past week I guess I missed all the commotion in bloggersville. :)
~Brenda
Post a Comment