Saturday, July 7, 2007

So, I'm sure most of you have been wondering how things are going with us. Selah and I came home from the hospital last Saturday morning. The first couple days were a little rough, Selah woke up quite often at night, and nursing wasn't going the greatest. In fact, I gave up on nursing for one day, but my mom and sister encouraged me to keep going. So, I'm back at it, and it's going better, though still painful. One thing that I am extremely grateful for is that Selah is sleeping great at night. In fact, last night I fed her last at 10:30, and she woke up once at 2:30, and then she slept till 7:30. So I definitely can't complain about that. The public health nurse came to visit yesterday. She weighed Selah and found that she has gained a pound since we left the hospital. It's good to know that she's doing good. The only thing that isn't doing so good is her skin. It seems that she has pretty sensitive skin. Pampers diapers seem to give her a rash, but they are the only ones that fit her right now. The Huggies newborn diapers are a little bigger.

Today we are heading to Brandon for our friends, Jason and Raquel's wedding. I'm just hoping I'll be able to sit that long in a vehicle. I've got a pillow to sit on, hopefully that will help. Anyway, I need to go eat some lunch. Sorry there's no pictures for today. Hopefully next time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what happened to all those homemade diapers?

Hope all heals quickly for you!

Selah's skin looked prretty beautiful to me!

Heather said...

We bought disposable to use for the first while so it would be a little easier. Plus, the cloth diapers would be just a bit too big right now! Soon enough they will work.

Jobina said...

Trinity was notorious for diaper rash! I ended up throwing all those creams away, using vaseline and the cheap diapers from Superstore. The Pampers and Huggies left these little silica (or something) remains on her skin which really irritated her. I really hope her skin heals up, I'm sure it will.
Way to go with the nursing! I chose the bottle with one kid and nursed the other. Both ways have positives and negatives, but I'm glad to hear you gave it another try. I think it's important for Moms not to feel defeated by things. You're doing great!

Anonymous said...

It's true that breastfeeding has so many benefits, but there's nothing wrong with bottlefeeding; it's whatever works best for Mom and baby. With bottles Dad gets to help out too -- yeah!! It's not something worth getting discouraged over, that's for sure. No doubt about the pain -- ouch! I do remember that. You're doing awesome Heather -- hang in there!

Melanie said...

Good on you for trying the breastfeeding again - it is painful for the first while.

Stacey said...

Yeah, I don't think they prepare you enough for nursing. They just say that if you're doing it right, it shouldn't hurt. NOT TRUE!! We all have to learn how, including babies, so way to go for giving it another try! Selah is becoming quite the little angel!

Anonymous said...

Nursing hurts for the first little while (maybe a week or two? - I can't remember) but mostly with the first child. The second, third, fourth, etc. are not as painful. Good for you for giving it another try, but if it doesn't work out, it's great to have the option of formula. But with Selah having gained a pound it sounds like she's getting what she needs.